20110203

after 3 months of use

Conclusions:
 
1. It took some effort to gather up things suited to my personal interests: beyond browsing the One-Touch store at Amazon, I searched many other sources. Recently I came up with a laundry list of topics that I wished to read at leisure from the wikipedia site. So for that I go to Kindlepedia to produce a *.mobi file that Kindle can natively read.
 
2. Eventhough the memory is vast (3gb remain after loading scores of docs and a few books and photos onto the device), I feel like the thing is psychologically full because there is an abundance for me to choose from. I tend to read 2-3 sources concurrently, jumping from one to another depending on the degree of concentration or likelihood of being disrupted. The daily Amazon blog (free delivery, free subscription), for example, consists of short pieces I can read in one "gulp" usually. So if my reading is likely to be disturbed, then I can easily find my place and resume my low level of concentration.
 
3. I worry that the vast set of files, grouped into "Collections" (folders in effect) as they are, will be too big for me to get through. I am reminded of my behavior when buying a book versus borrowing from a library. The library book has a deadline (due date), so I tend to go through whole chunks then copy my margin notes. The bought books are there for any time (not time delimited externally; only by my own deadline setting - which is seldom). The upshot is that I expend energy to gather good material on the eBook reader for reading... sometime... but fear that it will be a long time before I actually engage with those texts or do something with them.
 
4. The blog or newspaper/magazine function is maybe the most likely for me to read regularly since I know the next one is on the way. But there is a natural limit there, too, since I seem to have less than an hour per day to divide among reading materials.
 
In sum, the device is a great place to cache good reading so that when the occasion presents itself, I can go immediately to the page I left off and begin again. It is a physical space for gathering good reading. Also, the e-Ink screen lends itself to careful, high-resolution reading (not skimming as often as LCD reading). So I look forward to the Chrome browser plug in to send selected content directly to the kindle through the wifi connectivity. For example, having missed both the governor's State of the State and the President's State of the Union addresses, rather than seek the audio, I put the text onto the eReader for reading/annotation.
 
I don't regret buying the thing and learning how to use for better text workflow and lifelong learning. But I still need to complete the circle: now that content is ready and sorted usefully, it is time to sit down and read it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment