20101028

open box + day 5

Latest steps:
-Visit a few public wi-fi hotspots to confirm connectivity & download content I've ordered
-Comb the kindle store "free" section for more downloads
-Browse the best-selling/new section for Free Sample Chapter
-Download the catalog of hotlinked Gutenberg titles for wirelessly getting more books
-Collect online URLs I want to regularly visit: npr.org transcripts, PBS program notes, journals in PDF that my scholarly membership allows
-Organize my list of downloads in "collections" (folder groupings on the kindle home screen)
-Create future "collections" for reading projects I have (Viking saga, archeology, maps, pictures; Japan; Korea; China)

It is true that the wi-fi browsing and downloads are perceptually quicker than the 3G way. So it is nice to have both: wi-fi when you can get it, but 3G just about anywhere else. I've written to customer support to find out mp3 audio file parameters, since some live events that I record will be edited to smallest usable size to conserve space/bandwidth; for example, drop from stereo to mono, and drop datarate from 128 kb per second to 64 or 32 kbps.

Next steps to do:
-Assemble the URL set (above) onto a "launch pad" or "dashboard" that I can go to instead of bookmarking them one by one inside the kindle browser itself. Probably I'll publish the links via Googledocs or the online docs of Zoho or Hotmail
-Plug in the USB to PC to see the kindle file structure and backup my (non-kindle store) content
-Follow the instructions to use my own image as Screen Saver
-Start reading in earnest; then sample some of the 2 week trial subscriptions to magazines &c.
-Learn the many keystroke shortcuts

Re-reading one of the kindleworld.blogspot.com posts, I see this piece of user advice:
It's best, though, when you're leaving the Kindle, to press the "HOME" button because that 'closes' the e-book and allows the Kindle to log the Last-page you were on and record permanently any notes and highlights you made during that session.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment